Studying can be stressful (especially when your career’s future depends on it!) and studying for Google’s Analytics IQ Exam – a 90 minute, 70-question online test – is no exception.
Thankfully, Google’s Analytics Academy is there with lots of lessons to teach you everything you need to learn. Remembering all those Analytics lessons when test time rolls around is another matter. I (Lindsey) studied all of their content before taking the exam and was still stumped by a few questions. Luckily for you I took screen caps of all the questions and compiled them into a the handy dandy study guide below. Study up & send us your praise & thanks on Twitter if it helped!
Google Analytics IQ Study Guide
1. Which of the following types of data can be collected and reported in the Site Speed reports?
a. How quickly images load
b. how quickly the browser parses a page and makes it available for user interaction
c. button click response time
d. page-load time for a sample of pageviews on your site
e. all of these are tracked by the Site Speed reports.
2. Which of the following metrics would be most useful in measuring how many conversations were initiated by Paid Search?
a. Conversion rate
b. First interaction (click) conversions
c. None of these metrics
d. Assisted conversion value
3. Google Analytics can recognize returning users
a. on websites only
b. Google Analytics cannot recognize returning users on any device
c. on websites, iOS mobile apps, Android mobile apps
d. on websites, Android mobile apps
4. Your ecommerce site sells colorful wrist watches that visitors can customize using a tool online. Which of the following represent a micro conversion for your site?
a. All of these are micro conversions for this site
b. a view of the home page
c. an offline sale
d. an online sale
e. use of the “customize your watch” tool
5. Which of the following metrics would most strongly suggest a poorly performing landing page?
a. Bounce rate > 90%
b. Bounce rate < 90%
c. None of these answers
d. Avg. Session Duration > 5 mintues
e. % new visits > 90%
6. Which of the following could be measured by defining a goal in Google Analytics?
a. conversion rate
b. the percentage of visits during which visitors spent at least two minutes on the site
c. All of these could be measured by defining a goal in Google Analytics
d. the percentage of visits that result in a site registration
e. the percentage of visits that contain only one page view
7. Which of the following would you use to set-up a custom alert?
8. In which of the following circumstances would you want to increase the default session timeout length in Google Analytics?
a. The average length of videos on your site is 35 minutes.
b. You need to start collecting real-time data.
c. The default session timeout length is set dynamically by Google Analytics and you cannot change it.
d. Users typically spend less than 2 minutes on each page of your site.
9. Which of the following are examples of Sources?
d. all of these are possible sources.
10. You can adjust the report sample size in Google Analytics by
a. adding a segment to your report
b. any of these actions will adjust the sample size
c. adjusting a control in the reporting interface
d. adjusting the session timeout control
11. You need to immediately find out whether people are viewing the new content that you just added today. Which of the following would be most useful?
a. Intelligence arts
d. Secondary dimensions
12. The demographics and interest category information in Google Analytics comes from
a. information that you upload from your CRM
b. the DoubleClick third-party cookie
c. Google Tag Manager
d. the AdWords first-party cookie
e. survey data filled out by users
a. credit card number
b. billing city
c. purchase amount
d. product SKU(s)
e. tax amount
14. Which of the following AdWords reports would you use to investigate when you should modify your bidding during certain hours of the day to optimize conversions?
c. destination URLs
d. AdWords Keywords
e. hour of day
15. You want to see conversion rates for Windows visits coming from London. Which of the following dimensions would you need to select?
a. Operating System, and City as a secondary dimension
b. any one of these options
c. Goal conversion rate, and City as a secondary dimension
d. City, and Goal Conversion Rate as a secondary dimension
16. A visitor comes to your site but stops looking at pages and generating events. Which of the following will occur by default?
a. The visitor’s session expires once the visitor has exited your site
b. The visitor’s session expires after 5 minutes of inactivity
c. The visitor’s session expires after 30 minutes of inactivity
d. Google Analytics does not keep track of sessions by default
17. Setting up goals allows you to see _________.
a. a list of transactions
b. conversion rates
c. ecommerce revenue
d. bounce rate
18. It’s important to have a clear measurement strategy to guide your implementation strategy and your data analysis. Which of the following business objectives would be most relevant for content publishers?
a. selling products or services
b. all of these options are equally relevant as business objectives for content publishers
c. collecting user information for sales teams to connect with potential leads
d. encourage engagement and frequent visitation
19. You publish articles by many different authors on your site. You want to create a report that shows the total number of pageviews for each author. Which of the following features will allow you to add author information to Google Analytics?
b. Analytics intelligence
c. Custom reports
d. Data import
20. You should add Analytics tracking code to your site ________.
a. during measurement planning
b. at the beginning of your fiscal year only
c. after implementation planning
d. before documenting your business objectives
21. Which of the following would most quickly allow you to determine whether the Google Analytics code snippet is working on a specific website page?
a. Intelligence alerts
c. Secondary dimensions
22. Which campaign tracking variables are required in order to ensure accurate data shows for your campaigns in the “All Traffic” report?
a. utm_campaign, utm_source, utm_medium
c. utm_source, utm_term, utm_content
e. utm_medium, utm_campaign
23. Your Multi-Channel Funnel reports have no data. What is the most likely reason?
a. You are not using Google Tag Manager
b. You haven’t implemented Goals or Ecommerce
c. You are not using Content Experiments
d. You haven’t set up Goal Funnels
e. You haven’t enabled demographic data
24. Which of the following would you use to show two date ranges on the same graph?
a. pivot table
b. date comparison
c. motion chart
d. secondary dimension
e. plot rows
25. Your web property is “www.example.com” You set up a URL goal of “/thankyou” and a Match Type of “Begins with”. Which of the following URLs will count as goals?
d. All of these would count as goals
26. Which of the following would prevent URL destination goal conversions from being recorded?
a. All of these answers apply
b. There was a misspelling in the URL of the goal definition
c. The tracking code is missing from the conversion page
d. The match type in the goal definition is incorrect
e. No URL destination goals have been defined
27. Your business objective is to maximize the number of sales through your website. Which of the following metrics would most directly help you measure performance against this objective?
a. Page value
b. Bounce rate
d. Ecommerce conversion rate
28. In the Linear attribution model,
a. each touchpoint in the conversion path shares equal credit for the conversion
b. the touchpoints closest in time to the conversion get most of the credit
c. the last touchpoint receives 100% of the credit for the conversion
d. the first touchpoint receives 100% of the credit for the conversion
29. You want to be notified whenever weekly revenue for your ‘Spring Sale’ campaign increases, or decreases by 10%. Which of the following would be most useful?
a. Secondary dimensions
c. Intelligence alerts
30. Which of the following are possible uses of filters?
a. report on only a subdomain or directory
b. all of these are possible uses of filters
c. exclude visits from a particular IP address
d. include only traffic coming from a particular campaign
e. replace complicated page URLs with readable text settings
31. Specifying a goal value allows Google Analytics to calculate _____.
a. Average order value
b. Revenue per Click
c. Bounce rate
d. Ecommerce Revenue
32. Which of the following are dimensions?
a. Bounce rate
b. Conversion rate
c. % new sessions
33. What is the first step of analytics planning?
a. Implement Google Analytics
b. Document your technical infrastructure
c. Define your overall measurement plan and business objectives
d. Create your implementation plan
34. Which of the following reporting dimensions would be useful to reference if you were rebuilding a website to improve accessibility?
a. Device category
d. All of these dimensions
e. None of these dimensions
35. Which of the following are valid scopes for dimensions?
a. none of these answers is correct
b. session level, hit level
c. user level, campaign level, session level, hit level
d. campaign level, session level, hit level
e. user level, session level, hit level
36. Which are the four main parts of the Google Analytics platform?
a. Collection, Processing, Continuation, and Reporting
b. Configuration, Processing, Reporting, and Recollection
c. Collection, Configuration, Processing, and Reporting
d. Configuration, Collection, Progressing, and Reporting
37. Which of the following metrics shows the number of times your ad were displayed?
38. Which of the following questions can be answered using the goal flow report?
a. Are there any steps in my conversion process that don’t perform well on mobile devices compared to desktop devices?
b. All of these can be answered using the goal flow report.
c. Do visitors usually start my conversion process from the first step or somewhere in the middle?
d. Is there a place in my funnel where traffic loops back to the beginning of the conversion process to start over?
e. Are there a lot of unexpected exits from a step in the middle of my conversion funnel?
39. Which of the following reports allows you to identify the terms visitors use to conduct searches within your site?
a. Site search report
b. Keyword report
c. Search Engine Optimization report
d. Affinity categories
40. Which of the following are true about segmentation?
a. Segmentation does not work on historical data.
b. Segmentation should generally not be sued without Real-Time reporting.
c. Segmentation is a technique that should only be used by experienced analysts.
d. All of these answers are correct.
e. Segmentation allows you to isolate and analyze subsets of your data.
41. Digital analytics is ________________________________.
a. A process of continual improvement of the online experience
b. the analysis of quantitative data from your business
c. all of these answers are correct
d. the analysis of qualitative data from your business
e. the analysis of data from your business and the competition
42. Which of the following represents a macro-conversion for an ecommerce site?
a. All of these are macro conversions for an ecommerce site
b. a completed sales transaction
c. a click on a “buy” button
d. receiving a product inquiry
e. collecting a lead
43. Why is it important that you maintain one unfiltered view when using filters with your Analytics account?
a. There is no reason to maintain a unfiltered view
b. Without one unfiltered view, you will not be able to use a filter for multiple views
c. An unfiltered view ensures that the original data can always be accessed
d. You will need to configure your goals in the unfiltered view
44. For each user who comes to your site, Google Analytics automatically captures which of the following Traffic Source dimensions?
a. Campaign and Medium
b. Source, Medium, Campaign, and Ad Content
c. Campaign and Ad Content
d. Source and Medium
45. Which of the following would be most useful in measuring how many days passed between the first visit to a site and the eventual conversion?
a. Assisted/Last Interaction Conversions
b. Conversion Value
c. Top Conversion Rights
d. Path Length
e. Time Lag
46. You want to evaluate the landing pages you are using for AdWords ads. Which of the following dimensions would be most useful?
a. Destination URL
d. Ad Group
47. You can combine a metric X with a dimension Y in Google Analytics
a. if X and Y are in the same channel grouping
b. if X and Y have been precalculated together in an aggregate table
c. if X and Y have the same scope
d. as long as sampling is not required
e. if X and Y have the same campaign
48. Which of the following would be the most useful for optimizing landing pages?
a. Unique Visits
b. Bounce Rate
e. Unique Pageviews
49. You want to see the percentage in which a specific button was clicked. Which of the following would be the most useful?
a. set up a custom report
b. set up real-time reporting
c. set up an event goal
d. set up a dashboard
50. What is the purpose of the URL builder?
a. to optimize landing pages
b. to generate the URL tracking parameters that need to be appended to an organic search result
c. using the URL builder is required in order to track AdWords visits
d. to generate a URL with tracking parameters
51. Which of the following are possible uses of views within a single Google Analytics account?
a. to look more closely at traffic to a specific subdomain
b. to limit a user’s access to a subset of data
c. to look more closely at traffic to a specific part of a site (a page or selection of pages)
d. all of these are possible uses of views
52. Which of the following techniques would you use to exclude rows with fewer than 10 visits from a report table?
a. add a secondary dimension
b. add a primary dimension
c. use a pivot table with two dimensions
d. apply a table filter
e. sort the table by sessions from highest to lowest
53. Which of the following would you use to send data from a web connected point-of-sale system to Google Analytics?
a. Measurement Protocol
b. Campaign Tracking parameter
c. any of these would be appropriate
d. Google Analytics mobile SDK
54. Which of the following attribution models would be useful for evaluating ads and campaigns that are designed to create initial awareness about a brand?
a. Last Interaction model
b. Linear model
c. Last Non-Direct Click model
d. First Interaction model
55. Which of the following Channels is part of the Default Channel Grouping?
a. All of these are part of the Default Channel Grouping
56. Which of the following Behavior metrics shows the number of sessions that included a view of a page?
b. Unique Pageviews
c. Bounce rate
d. Unique Visits
57. Which of the following are measures of traffic volume?
b. Avg. Time on Site
c. Bounce Rate
58. When configuring a goal, why is it useful to assign a goal value?
a. to attribute monetary value to non-ecommerce conversions
b. to determine the conversion rate
c. to determine the number of visits to each of your pages
d. to calculate ecommerce metrics
59. True or False: The order in which filters appear in your view settings matters.
a. True. Filters are executed in the order in which they appear.
b. False. Filters are not necessarily executed in the order in which they appear.
60. You’ve noticed that many users visit your site several times before converting and you want to understand in more detail how they arrive at your site. Which of the following metrics would be most helpful in showing you whether a keyword is part of a conversion path?
c. Bounce Rate
e. Assisted conversions
61. What is the hierarchy of the Google Analytics data model?
a. Sessions > Users > Interactions
b. Users > Sessions > Interactions
c. Interactions > Users > Sessions
d. Sessions > Visitors > Interactions
62. A macro conversion
a. is your highest converting campaign
b. occurs when over 50% of visitors buy an item
c. is a large revenue sale that is directly attributable to a display campaign
d. occurs when someone completes an action that’s important to your business
e. always occurs prior to a micro conversion
63. You want to know whether button X is clicked more often than button Y. Which of the following would be most useful?
64. If a paid keyword has an Assisted/Last Click or Direct Conversions value of .5, which of the following is true?
a. The keyword played an assist role in exactly five conversions
b. The keyword played an assist role in exactly one conversion
c. none of these answers
d. The keyword played an assist role less often than it played a last click role
65. Which of the following technologies or features can be used to add data to Google Analytics?
a. Data import, Intelligence
b. Real-Time, Intelligence
c. Data Import, Measurement Protocol
d. Data Import, Real-Time
66. Which of the following are advantages of implementing Google Tag Manager?
a. You can add Google Analytics tags to your site without editing site code
b. All of these answers are correct
c. You can change configuration values in your mobile app without rebuilding a new binary
d. You can add non-Google tags to your site without editing site code
e. You can add AdWords tags to your site without editing site code
67. Which of the following is not a default Medium in Google Analytics?
d. All of these are default Mediums